Jamun also known as Java plum, black plum, jambolan or Malabar plum, is a fruit in the family of flowering plant Myrtceae. The fruit is often confused for blue/black berries, which is entirely different fruit.The fruit is oblong, ovoid. Unripe fruit looks green. As it matures, its color changes to pink, then to shining crimson red and finally to black color. The fruit is sweet, mildly sour and astringent and tends to colour the tongue purple.
The fruit is known for its high nutrientional value, it can be eaten raw, put in salad or could be turned into jam, juice, jelly, vinegar or syrup. The fruit has also been used in traditional medicine. The dried seeds of Jamun are used across many Ayurvedic remedies.
10 medicinal benefits of Jamun:
It is loaded with vitamins and nutrients such as — vitamin C, iron, sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium. The fruit, seeds, bark and leaves are used for treating different difficulties.
1. For digestion: The excellent carminative and digestive properties of this incredible fruit make it a one-stop solution for all digestive woes. The anti-flatulent property reduces the formation of gas in the alimentary canal, thus reducing flatulence, constipation, bloating and abdominal distension. The antacid property of jamun extract prevents the formation of excessive acids in the stomach thereby treating indigestion, ulcer, gastritis and promoting better absorption of nutrients in the body.
2. For diabetic patients: According to Ayurveda, Jamun is a highly effective fruit for fighting against diabetes. The seeds of the fruit have active ingredients called jamboline and jambosine that are know to slow down the rate of sugar released into the blood and increases the insulin levels in the body. It converts starch into energy and reduces the symptoms of diabetes such as frequent urination and thrusting.
3. Heart health: Loaded with potassium, jamun is extremely beneficial for your heart. Around 55 mg of potassium is present per 100 grams of jamun. The fruit is beneficial in keeping diseases like high blood pressure, heart diseases and stroke at bay. It also keeps your arteries healthy and prevents its hardening.
4. Treats Anaemia: It is known to be a rich source of iron. Thus, it can also treat the deficiency of iron which is a very common problem among women.
5. Increases libido: It showcases strong aphrodisiac properties that not only helps in reducing mental stress and anxiety but also stimulates the production of testosterone that increases libido. Jamun offers a traditional remedy for improving fertility in men. It not only increases virility and stamina in men but also improves the production of male hormones like testosterone and luteinizing hormone, thus promoting the motility and quality of sperms in male.
6. For PCOS: PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome causes female infertility. It causes weight gain and increases levels of insulin in the body. Ayurvedic doctors suggest Jamun churna or vatis (i.e. tablets or capsules) containing Jamun as an active ingredient to overcome PCOS.
7. Regulates blood pressure: Jamun seeds may prove to be a boon for people dealing with hypertension as the seed extract of the fruit contains a type of antioxidant called ellagic acid that may help in keeping a check on rapid fluctuations of blood pressure.
8. For weight loss: It is low on calories and high on fibre, that makes Jamun an ideal fruit in all weight loss diets and recipes. It improves your digestion and the pharmacological properties help in minimizing water retention besides boosting body metabolism, satiating your hunger and gives you a feeling of fullness.
9. For skin health: It is a good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. It is highly beneficial to maintain overall health of the eye and the skin. The fruit works wonders to your skin. Its astringent property makes the skin glowing, healthy and free from pimples.
10. For oral health: Jamun is beneficial for your gums and teeth. The leaves of the black plum have antibacterial properties and can be used to prevent bleeding of gums. You can dry the leave and then powder it to be used as a tooth powder. This will help in preventing gum bleeding and infection. The bark of the tree has astringent properties and you can use a decoction prepared with the bark to rinse your mouth to treat mouth ulcers.
Like all fruits, Jamun may cause allergy in few people. If you suffer an allergic reaction like skin rashes, swollen gums, lips and eyelids after eating the fruit, talk to doctor immediately. Also it may bring down sugar to dangerously low level when eaten in access. Pregnant women and people with chronic illnesses should consult their Doctor before consuming Jamun as alternative medicine.